That's the spirit of the whole thing, isn't it? A place to discuss whatever is on your mind - ask questions when you have them, propose theories or explain thoughts when they come to you. An open place for conversation among many diverse individuals.

Instructions

If you would like to join our community, please leave a comment, and we will be sure to add you as an author. You're also welcome to join the conversation on Twitter, just search 'weekendphilosophers'. All questions can be directed to nathan.driftwoodprose@gmail.com

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Potter you rotter, my thoughts on Harry Potter

I’m not quite sure what you would like to discuss about Harry Potter so I’m about to offer a whole array of my opinions and view points on Harry Potter. Please feel free to elaborate on them or bring up something else about them entirely. I feel very long winded on this one, but maybe that’s because I’ve been working on blog entries for most of this day (and yes, I’m at work, but I’m just waiting for them to bring me samples as I’m caught up on stuff right now).

Ever since reading the first book I have been hooked. I’ve hated the movies, although this last one is among the best. But then again I’m a purist. I am the person that always loves the book and hates the movie, with the exception of Fight Club, which I’m still puzzled over. Forgive me my faults. But yes, Harry Potter. I have read and re-read each of the books always learning something new, picking up on clues that I didn’t previously and seeing new depth to the characters that exist within the pages. They are modern classics that haven’t been seen since C.S. Lewis and Tolkein’s era and yet they are somewhat different in the same respect.

There is no denying that C.S. Lewis and Tolkein both created immaculate worlds that are incredibly complex and contain unforgettable characters. Tolkein in fact created all the languages that are contained within the pages of his novels. Talk about creation of a world. I loved reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the attention to detail was amazing. However, this was also a bit numbing at times. The detail in certain parts of the book was almost overwhelming and yet undeniably genius.

The Chronicles of Narnia are another of my favorite. Ok at this point I must say that there are few books that I’ve ever read that I’ve actually hated. For the most part I either love it or mildly like it, but not enough to read it again. But back to Lewis. His world was also genius. He built characters and a world that conveyed Christianity through four children. Talk about unique and unlike anything before or since it. You cared about these characters and watched them grow and develop until they reached the last battle. You learn what it’s like to believe in innocence and experience what happens when you stop believing. He did a bang up job of telling a story because even if you’re not Christian you get the lesson and a different take on things, which in the end the lesson is the thing, which I’ll talk about here in a second.

But there’s something different about the Harry Potter series. Yes, for the most part the theme is universal as it always is. Treat others the way you want to be treated. Love each other. Believe in yourself. I mean those messages are contained within all of these series’ but Harry Potter caught on now, in the present. It’s not a cult classic, it’s not something that some find appealing and others don’t. There are those places where Harry Potter is banned because it has magic, but I say poo poo on it. Look at the lessons, the writing style. Look at how it has reintroduced reading to a generation that was starting to forget what a book was. Now that’s genius.

Another thing about the Potter series is that there is something for everyone. It’s appealing to many different age groups.

Now at this point I have to get on a soap box (you already thought I was there didn’t you?). Parents who let their 13 year olds and younger read the Potter series I think should really reconsider. It is fair to say that it depends on the maturity of the child however, at a certain point some of the material, particularly in the third book and up starts to get mature. Because of that I think parents should carefully consider just letting their young ones run around with the books without at the very least talking with them about it. I’m sure this opinion will make repeated appearances throughout this entry, so I’m going to put it out there now.

But in all honesty it does appeal to a lot of different people of a lot of different ages and backgrounds. It’s something most people can identify with. The book encompass many of the different man vs. plots that you brought up Nathan. That fact brings the books closer to all types of people. Then you look at this world that she built. In interacts with our own. It is so close that you could almost reach out and touch it. The incorporation of the real with the imaginary brings it to the reader instead of asking them to completely step out of their comfort zone which is what I think really turns some people off to fantasy and science fiction. It’s too far from the truth for them to handle and they don’t want to completely step away from the known. And yet, through the same handling of the truth, Rowling takes you somewhere that you’ve never been before. It’s fantastic and out there and yet close enough to touch.

The series as a whole is genius, but the individual stories are brilliant in and of themselves. I don’t want to spoil anything for you Nathan, although you’ve seen the movies, but I still don’t want to talk about it too specifically and ruin details before you read them, so I’ll try and keep this relatively general.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (or Philosopher’s Stone)

The first book is always a classic because it’s what gets you hooked. Your first meeting with Harry Potter, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Ron, Hermione, it’s like meeting a group of friends that you wished you always knew. They come across right away with the humor and sincerity that will carry them through all the novels. The first introduction to Hogwarts and the Dursley’s is just as memorable. You watch as innocence gives way to wisdom and knowledge and we learn that love really can conquer evil, just because it’s in your veins. By the time you reach the last page, you’re wishing that there was more. You want to know what happens next and if things will turn out ok.

One of my favorite parts of the plot, and this carries through all of the books, but it caught my eye from the beginning is the story between Harry and Malfoy. The humor that exists in their bullying relationship and the way Malfoy is always the true butt of the joke whether he means to be or not is awesome. I also think that it really ends up effecting Harry and the way he reacts to situations and in the end I think their animosity will give way and they will find themselves on the same side, but the truth of their relationship with each other will have to wait until I get through the pages of the seventh book. But anyway the point of me bringing up Malfoy and Harry’s relationship is that most of my favorite moments in the first book come when Harry and Malfoy are sniping at each other.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

This is one of two books not to have the “real Voldemort” in it. That shouldn’t spoil anything for anyone and if it did I’m sorry, but I’ve always found that interesting because the plot of the whole series revolves around defeating Voldemort. And yet Rowling chooses to have two books where the main villain is less than absolutely present. That being said I’m not denying that Voldemort was present in the second book, but it wasn’t the true him, it was a memory. Which makes for an interesting overall message, “memories can be as dangerous as reality.” It goes along with one of the secondary messages from the first book about not getting lost in your dreams (the mirror of erised message). But along with being wary of memories and trusting things that you can’t see where they keep their brains (thank you Mr. Weasley), this book is darker than the first and you see a glimpse of where Rowling is heading, down the long dark, darker and darkest road that leads to the seventh book. Harry starts to grow up, along with his cohorts. He realizes that there’s something special to him and Dumbledore’s job to protect Harry becomes more complicated. Another thing that makes this book different than the first (although it becomes a sort of hero complex for Harry) is that he saves someone. He is directly responsible for saving Ginny and preventing the snake (and Voldemort) from killing at Hogwarts. Harry’s rescuing heroics becomes his banner, which is taken directly from historical literature and other tales of heroes and heroines. Talk about one of the oldest tricks in the book. The Greeks and Romans wrote of the heroes falling to their own pride, and only the humble make it through. Odysseus only made it home after humbling himself and losing most of his men. Frodo almost falls to his desire to save Golum (going back to Tolkein for a moment), and as a last example, Achilles’ dies because he believes himself invincible and able to conquer all. Harry obviously doesn’t die, but he does suffer a hero complex at least for a while until Ron and Hermione tell him to snap out of it in the fourth book.

Out of all the books the second would probably be my least favorite. I’m not sure that I can put my finger on why, because it’s just as well written as the rest, but I find the plot a little flat and less interesting for some reason.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Now, I know that you haven’t read beyond the second book so I will try to stick to the bare minimum as far as details. I LOVE this book. It is still my favorite. It is the second book to not contain the “real Voldemort.” Instead there is just the ramping up of the fear and distrust that surrounds him and his rising. You get to meet Sirius, who is my favorite character, and find out more about Harry’s past. I want to talk more about Voldemort’s rise, but I will save that for the discussion of the fifth book. The third book is a lesson in not believing everything you hear and the government is not infallible. This book shows you that during the first rise of Voldemort the handling of people’s fates was not carefully considered. Instead fear crept in and overshadowed even the most well intentioned officials. That is how Sirus ends up in Azkaban, but what they fail to realize is that his innocence is what sets him free. So there’s your message, “the truth will set you free.” And it did. I think it’s a pretty cool message even if it doesn’t always work, you’re usually better off telling the truth then trying to lie to yourself or others.

My favorite moment from this book would have to be either Hermione punching Malfoy (always a classic), or the scene where Snape tries to corner Harry about going into Hogsmede.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

The beginning of the darkness. This book begins to get a lot darker than the previous books. You know, as if you didn’t know it before, that things are not going to end until Voldemort is back in action. A main character dies, oh the sacrifices we all make, and we watch the characters get even more awkward with each other (specifically the Yule ball). It’s a good one this chapter in the saga, it shows that Harry really does have to rely on others in order to make it through. Ron and Hermione support him and help him make it as far as he does, even while Ron is reluctant because Harry steals the spot light again. Which brings me to the point that it is in this book that Harry really has to find his strength. We all know that it is hard to fight with your best friend and you have to imagine that fight happening while the whole world is staring at you. I certainly don’t want to go through that. But Harry makes it through and while it is traumatic and horrendous, he finds out who his family and friends are. I’m not going to lie, it was nice to have Ron and Harry fight because it really shows the character’s depth and that they aren’t just these ideal, everything is always good people. Ron shows jealousy, both towards Harry and then Victor Krum, which just goes to show that he’s human and not only a side kick. Hermione starts to find that maybe there is more to life than books, which is always important. My favorite moment in Goblet of Fire would have to be the first task of defeating the dragons. It’s exciting and just really sweet when I picture it in my head. I’ll keep it at that.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I think this book would have to be right behind the third book in my list of favorites. It’s a long read, but well worth it. We meet Luna Lovegood, who I adore. She is just so out there that it’s awesome. You get to see Neville take on a lot more and really shine. Delores Umbridge reminds me of a toad, a fascist toad, but a toad nonetheless. Her lesson of “I must not tell lies,” is one that really hits home with Harry. You learn so much about Harry even as he falls into a darkness. He gets so close to being evil it is scary. I spent most of my first reading of this book going, please let him snap out of it. And thank goodness he did because it made for a really sweet ass scene in the book. The fight in the ministry is absolutely brilliant and yes, I will admit that I cried when Sirius fell through the portal. However the tears didn’t last long once I realized that he probably wasn’t truly dead. I know that my summaries are getting shorter, but I’m trying to keep the details sparse for you and I know that this entry is getting long. Favorite scenes are the fight in the ministry and the Weasley twins leaving school. I’d buy their fireworks.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

The second to last installment and it didn’t disappoint. Things start to get serious and we learn a lot more about Voldemort. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, a lesson that Voldemort could benefit from learning. That along with the fact that you should have friends, but you know to each his own I guess. The darkness steps up another notch, although Harry isn’t quite as much of a jacka$$ as he was in book five. I cried at the end of this book as well, and I’m sure you know what happens, but I won’t talk about it other than to say although the characters are true to themselves, it was still sad. I would like to discuss both the fifth and sixth books a lot more, but I will wait until you have read them Nathan because it will make it more interesting that way. Favorite moment would have to be Ginny and Harry finally hooking up, it was about damn time. That’s all I’ll say.

There are a lot of different themes, lessons and ideas that could be discussed. One that I’m interested in pursuing with this group is that of how Voldemort bears a striking resemblance to Hitler. Tolkein did much the same as his evil was modeled directly off the Nazi’s. And I think it’s interesting how the same thread shows up in Rowling’s work. Now I know that Voldemort and his followers could also be likened to extremists and terrorists, but her books were begun too long ago to truly be written in the spirit of the current climate. Not so much the later ones, but the first couple were. In addition she’s had the overall structure written for a while, so it may reflect some of the current climate, but more so history I believe. Voldemort is the horrid dictator who will stop at nothing to dominate. He is killing those who don’t agree with him, those who aren’t “pure” (even while he himself is not pure *cough*Hitler*cough*), those who he has to go through to get where he’s going. Then you have people who are in denial until they absolutely cannot avoid the fact that Voldemort is back, who are a lot like most of the world in WWII. Pretending everything is fine until their delusion cannot be maintained anymore. In some cases they persecute their own in the name of sanctity. Much like Macarthur in the 60’s, when he would stop at nothing to “get rid of communism,” Umbridge, Fudge and a few others in the ministry of magic show us that even good can go bad. The best intentions do not always mean what is going on is good. I could go on in this vein, but I’m sure everyone is done reading about my thoughts on the books along with the fact that I’m interested to see what everyone else brings up before continuing on this path. I promise that I have not abandoned this thought and it will be revisited sooner rather then later. Let me know if you agree, or disagree or if you have a different idea to accompany or dispute it.

No comments: