That's the spirit of the whole thing, isn't it? A place to discuss whatever is on your mind - ask questions when you have them, propose theories or explain thoughts when they come to you. An open place for conversation among many diverse individuals.

Instructions

If you would like to join our community, please leave a comment, and we will be sure to add you as an author. You're also welcome to join the conversation on Twitter, just search 'weekendphilosophers'. All questions can be directed to nathan.driftwoodprose@gmail.com

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Okie Dokie

I'll be joining the discussion over in your politics blog as soon as I think of what I even want to say. At any rate - I'm still working on my life list and I've still got nothing for a story shaping my life...and thus, I'll start (another) new topic - if you could have one special ability, what would it be?

In the meantime, I have a song for you all to mull over until I respond to my own question...
Modest Mouse - Missed the Boat (off of their latest album - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank

While we're on the subject could we change the subject now?
I was knockin' on your ear's door but you were always out.
Looking towards the future, we were begging for the past,
Well we knew we'd had the good things, but those never seem to last
Oh please, just last.
Well nothin' ever went quite exactly as we planned,
Our ideas held no water, but we used 'em like a dam.

Oh and we carried it all so well, as if we'd got a new position
Oh and I'll laugh all the way to hell saying, "Yes this is a fine promotion."
Oh and I'll laugh all the way to hell.

Everyone goes crazy over such and such and such,
Well we'd made ourselves a pillar, but we used it as a crutch.
We are certainly uncertain at least I'm pretty sure I am,
Well we didn't need the water but we still built that good goddamn!

Oh and I know this of myself, I assume as much for other people
Oh and I know this of myself...
We've listened more to life's end gong than the sound of life's sweet bells.

Was it even worth it? Was there all that much to gain?
Well we'd know we'd miss the boat and we'd already missed the plane.
We didn't read the invite we just danced at our own wake.
All our favorites were playin' so we could shake, shake!
Shake! Shake! Shake!

Tiny curtains opened then, we heard the tiny clap of tiny hands
A tiny man would tell a little joke and get a tiny laugh
From all them folks, sitting drifting round on bubbles then
(thinking it was us that carried them)
When we finally got it figured out, that we had truly missed the boat

Oh and we carried it all so well, as if we'd got a new position
Oh and we owned all the tools ourselves, without the skills to make a shelf with
Oh what useless tools ourselves...

So there you have it - do you have a song for us?
Until next time - ta.

No comments: