That's the spirit of the whole thing, isn't it? A place to discuss whatever is on your mind - ask questions when you have them, propose theories or explain thoughts when they come to you. An open place for conversation among many diverse individuals.

Instructions

If you would like to join our community, please leave a comment, and we will be sure to add you as an author. You're also welcome to join the conversation on Twitter, just search 'weekendphilosophers'. All questions can be directed to nathan.driftwoodprose@gmail.com

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Joke's on you...

I finished the third book yesterday and am already 150 pages into the Goblet of Fire.

Seriously though, holy shit - did you write enough? And I thought my "me manifesto" entries were a feat - you take the cake for sure. Let me kind of run this in order you posted, to keep my thoughts straight.

As for making this more of a political blog, I'm very mixed. I myself am not particularly political simply because it seems, at least to me, to bring out the worst in people...it's not that I don't see any good in having open discussions like you mention, but frankly - I don't think people are capable of open political debate - people are so close-minded in what they believe, they see their opinion and everyone else is wrong and they just shout at each other until somebody says "fuck it" and they both go their separate ways, in worse moods than they were before, and holding a little bitter resentment towards each other. Tori, my wife, is fairly conservative and I just don't bring up politics because it brings out the worst in her - she becomes combative and takes a lot of things personally, so it's best not to bring it up. That's not to say I don't want to be part of a movement with you, I'm just saying I think that we should take things very carefully. I know as a fact that you and I are very close, politically speaking, even if we've never really talked straight up politics before and once we start bringing in other opinions, we risk a lot of tension and that is going to scare people away. I don't want to rain on your idea though, I think it's brilliant and a lot of other people our age are seeing it too - this open political climate where our voices can be the loudest if we are first to grasp that we have left the information age and ave entered the age of collaboration - the age of people coming together, sharing ideas, and coming out stronger and more intelligent than they were before. Therefore, I urge you, to start your own blog and invite me because I'm there - I'm there in a heartbeat. I don't want to start it here for a few reasons - one, this is your idea and I don't want it be anything other than yours. Two - honestly, I'm all but sending death threats to people to get them to post (and you see how that's working - one so far), and I'm pulling up people who I haven't seen since elementary school to this thing and I'm still getting nothing. I don't get it - I tell people the concept and they get just as excited as I do, just a group of young adults talking about whatever crosses their minds - shooting the shit, sharing life's moments, discussing things that matter (although favorite movie and music lists aren't exactly 'what matter' they certainly still apply in that they make us who we are today, in this society where entertainment makes up the person a lot more than our jobs or our houses). I'm glad you are getting as much enjoyment out of this as I am, because I am just enjoying the shit out of this blog and I think it's a shame I can't get more people interested in posting - I think people are more shy than anything, as if we'd judge them on their off-topic post about butterflies and how cool they are (I don't know if someone is actually thinking about posting this, but if they did it would sweet - so you know). Anyways, back to what I was saying about the politics - sorry, sidetracked by my frustration on this project - I don't want to scare people away yet, not when I am struggling to get people interested in the first place - not to sound selfish or anything, but this is actually exactly what I wanted, if we bring up politics than we bring up politics, but I don't want that to be the permanent air simply because so many people will be turned off by it right away, especially since the only two permanent members seem to see eye to eye on many things - you can see how that would be a little scary for any new comer. Just my opinion - I really do think it's a good idea though and I am right behind you if you want to start something new.

Moving on to Harry Potter - boy do our opinions differ! Now obviously I can't talk much because, like I mentioned, only three books in and I don't instantly hate movies simply because they aren't true to their book form (my previously favorite movie - Chamber of Secrets was faithful to the book, but not in the right places, where it now stands as my favorite book and probably fourth favorite movie whereas my previously second favorite movie, Prisoner of Azkaban, has been bumped up despite the fact that I hated the book). I didn't much care for Sorcerer's Stone - perhaps knowing the ending ruined it a little bit for me, but it just didn't capture me and I finished it quickly simply because it was such an easy read. Chamber of Secrets like I said, is my favorite book (so far) and it's really because of all the things left out of the movie - it really brought me in closer with my favorite characters, the Weasley's. Also, this is the first time Rowling's really shows her teeth, so to speak, with Harry battling the basilisk he actually faces a life or death situation and putting Ginny's life on the line to boot, that just ups the ante. That could be why I dislike Prison of Azkaban so much - it kind of reads as a bluff after Harry was actually in a perilous situation, all of sudden he is only in the illusion of danger - everyone thinks he is, and perhaps his ego kind of clouded his fear a bit - but no, there was no threat whatsoever. I suppose I'm not as captivated by Harry Potter as a whole with everyone else - I don't know why, I'm just not - it seems to have a lot of weaknesses that I just can't put my finger on, although I can easily rank it on the same level as The Chronicles of Narnia although I think it would be a stretch to put it with Lord of the Rings, although Rowling does show to have a bit more balls than Tolkien in that she kills of more "good guys" which says a lot. It's good, it's somewhat captivating (I can see how people are getting obsessed - just not my taste, I guess) and it's a decent story (although I think a bit...I don't know, the whole Lord Voldemort thing seems so planned, not natural I suppose is the word I'm looking for). I'll have more to say when I'm done with the series, I'm guessing. That's all I have to say on that - I'm working on my life list and I still have not got a story that shaped me, working on it though I suppose. I look forward to joining you on a political blog - and I agree completely, open conversation about important political ideas are key - the most important word in all of that though is open, we really need to keep that in mind.

Also - I keep up with a few online music zines, one of which (PopMatters) has recently posted a collection of essays on Harry Potter, The End of the Potterverse. Now onto Evergreen - ta.

1 comment:

Rae Wood said...

Alright,
I would first like to say that a I love your view about keeping this page not just about the politics. I agree completley, I am actually a political science major and I hate politics with a passion. Anyway, I just got invited to your blog page and I am going to check it out. So far I have only read the one paragraph out of all the entrys. However, I am sure that once i am back bored at work I will find time to catch up and I hope to be added to your list of regulars. I am not sure that I have any idea who you are and I only sort of think I know who invited me but I will be back. Fight the good fight and people will come together to talk about all sorts of things.