That's the spirit of the whole thing, isn't it? A place to discuss whatever is on your mind - ask questions when you have them, propose theories or explain thoughts when they come to you. An open place for conversation among many diverse individuals.

Instructions

If you would like to join our community, please leave a comment, and we will be sure to add you as an author. You're also welcome to join the conversation on Twitter, just search 'weekendphilosophers'. All questions can be directed to nathan.driftwoodprose@gmail.com

Monday, October 29, 2007

Taylor said...

Taylor left me a comment on my most recent post regarding prisons, I felt it was a bit hidden there and thus, I repost for him here.

"First Post, I suppose fate lead me here today.
Hi, everyone. I'm an old friend of Nathan.

I had a similar idea for prisons. Along the same lines, but they should be run more like hotels. You get a bed, food, and cable TV. Why shouldn't you pay for it? I say, charge the prisoners rent. They can work in the factory to pay for it. No more tax money going into the prison system, and if prison wasn't such an attractive free ride, maybe there would be less crime. I don't have an facts or figures to support my arguments, so I suppose they are meaningless to educated folk, but it's just a theory. I'll leave it to someone else to prove.
On a side note, I think a private prison closed recently. I don't know where or why, I'll leave that to the same gerbils to retreive.

The only things that are hard to privitize are public goods (non-rival, non-excludable), which are those things that society requests, but the private sector is unwilling or unable to provide(i.e. national defense, road construction, etc.). Some things in this area work without government aid, though. For example: radio. Consumers don't pay for radio (the regular kind, anyway), the fact that my neighbor is using it doesn't prevent me from using it, yet it is still provided by the private sector. This leads to the obvious conclusion that the miltary can be privitized with advertising.
Just some quick thoughts. I guess I'll end this ranting with the trademark:
-ta"

No comments: